Knowledgeable Arcadia, CA Lyft Accident Law Firm
Insurance coverage is consistently a primary consideration when making a personal injury claim after an accident in an Uber or Lyft vehicle. With the popularity of ridesharing services skyrocketing in Arcadia California, it is worthwhile to understand the insurance policies these companies offer for passengers.
The Law Offices of John C. Ye, A Professional Law Corporation specializes in personal injury law and provides an experienced team to handle rideshare accident cases.
Timing Is Everything: When an Accident Impacts Insurance Coverage
The specific situations surrounding an Uber or Lyft car accident determine how much insurance the driver has to carry and/or how much the ride share company will likely pay for an accident claim that is the rideshare driver’s fault.
- If an accident occurs when the driver is off-duty and does not have their app on searching for passengers, their personal insurance will cover the damages if they are at fault.
- If an accident happens when a driver is on-duty but has not been paired with a passenger, their personal rideshare insurance or the company’s policy will cover an accident.
- If an accident occurs after a passenger has been paired with a driver or once the passenger gets in the vehicle, Uber or Lyft’s liability insurance is applicable to any damages that are the rideshare driver’s fault.
Uninsured Or Underinsured Motorists and Rideshare Accident Claims
What if the accident is the fault of the other driver? If they have enough personal auto insurance, the at-fault driver’s insurer ought to pay your injury claim.
However, if the at-fault driver is underinsured or completely uninsured, both Lyft and Uber have uninsured driver coverage.
Arcadia, California Uber and Lyft Accidents
Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare services are becoming increasingly popular merely because of their simplicity and convenience. You find out you need a ride somewhere and, rather than calling a cab or trying to flag one down, you hop on your app and connect with a driver who’ll take you any place you need to go.
However, what happens if you’re in an accident with a rideshare or while getting a lift?
Does the driver’s insurance cover your damage? Does the company have a policy? Or, is it one of those fine print situations where you’re assuming all the risk yourself and waiving responsibility for any future harm? Simply because companies like Uber and Lyft are so new, it’s difficult to know exactly what to do or expect if you’ve been in an accident. But, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
We’ll walk you through the most common types of Uber and Lyft accidents and what to do once you’ve been in an accident. Then, we’ll answer all those questions we asked about insurance and who covers what when an accident happens.
"If We Do Not Win, You Do Not Pay"
At the Law Offices of John C. Ye, A Professional Law Corporation, if we do not procure the funds you will need to recover from your injuries, you pay us nothing in legal costs. To find out how we can help you, call our office at 866-771-8394 or use our online contact form. We serve clients in greater Arcadia and across California.
What are the most frequent types of Uber and Lyft accidents? There are many various types of accidents that rideshare services such as Uber or Lyft can be part of.For example, the driver of the rideshare could possibly:
- Hit another car
- Be hit by another car
- Hit a pedestrian or bicyclist with their car
If you were injured by the negligence or carelessness of somebody else, you are eligible to request compensation for any injuries, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and long-term medical treatment resulting from the accident.
What should you do after your Arcadia, California Uber or Lyft accident?
Whether you’re struck by an Uber or Lyft or whether you’re a rideshare passenger when an accident occurs, it’s difficult to know exactly what to do. In order to be certain that you don’t get stuck holding the bill for an accident that wasn’t your fault, follow these six steps.
- Start obtaining evidence immediately when the accident happens. If you are not badly injured, take pictures of the scene of the accident, your injuries, the damage to your vehicle (or the vehicle you were riding in), the damage to the other vehicle, skid marks, and anything else you think might be significant. You should also get the names and phone numbers of witnesses including the insurance information for the other party involved.
- Get emergency care. Have the medics who arrive at the scene of the accident examine you. Then you should, go to the hospital and have the ER doctor double-check. By doing this, if you have any sort of injury (even if it’s internal and you don’t notice any effects from it yet), the doctor can make a note and start treatment. Getting medical help is very important. Immediately after your accident, you may feel fine. You might possibly be tempted to forgo an exam or trip to the hospital. Regardless, you must receive complete medical care to confirm you don’t have a serious injury.
- Don’t talk to anyone about your case, specifically anyone from an insurance company. If you get a phone call and the person says he or she is from an insurance company, stop talking. Whether this person is from your insurance company, the Uber or Lyft driver’s, or maybe even the other driver’s insurance company; you only have money to lose by chatting. At present, the insurance company is looking for reasons your story is weak. They’re searching for ways to justify paying you less money. What you want is the best settlement possible to ensure all your accident-related expenses are covered.
- Stay off social media. You know the saying, “Loose lips sink ships?” The exact same is true when you speak about your auto accident. Don’t post with regards to your accident on social media. Keep your lips shut and let your lawyer speak on your behalf.
- Don’t accept any offers or checks from the insurance company. If the insurance company is offering you a check or trying to negotiate a settlement, they feel you have a strong case. And, even though the idea of getting a fat check right now may sound good, think about their motives. If they’re offering you a check, they’re estimating the amount you really should receive would certainly be a good deal higher than that amount.
- Talk to knowledgeable Uber and Lyft accident lawyers. There are many highly trained personal injury lawyers out there, but the majority haven’t successfully helped clients who’ve been in rideshare accidents. By interviewing successful Uber and Lyft accident lawyers, you can determine who’s the best for your case. Be certain to ask whether the lawyer has helped clients who were riding in the rideshare, clients who have had a collision with a rideshare, or both.
Perhaps you’re hesitant to hire a lawyer. It’s understandable. But, here’s the situation: at the moment, the insurance company that’s liable for the accident is doing its very best to reduce (or completely eliminate) the amount of money they need to pay for the accident. Truthfully, they have a whole team of lawyers working to make sure that you don’t see a dime of their company’s money. Pretty scary, right?
But, what if you had your own experienced lawyer? Suddenly, it doesn’t seem quite so terrifying when you’ve got a person who knows California laws on your side.
If you’re in an accident in Arcadia with an Uber or Lyft, who pays for the damage?
Above all, it’s extremely important to understand that California follows a traditional fault system. This means whoever is at-fault for the accident is the one who pays. One party can definitely be held solely responsible for the accident, or it can be determined that both parties are partially at fault.
You need to know that under the traditional fault system in order to receive compensation, the injured party must also prove that:
- He or she was owed a duty of care by the other party
- The other party breached the duty of care
- The breach directly caused the accident
- The accident resulted in damages like medical care or suffering
So, if you’re going to receive compensation for being in an accident with a Lyft or Uber, you need to prove the other person is at-fault, that you aren’t, and that you had injury or damage because of the accident. When the judge reviews your case, he or she determines which percentage of fault each party holds. That helps determine who’s paying for what.
Uber and Lyft insurance Coverage for Drivers in Arcadia CA
Insurance requirements for Uber and Lyft drivers are completely different than for regular automobile drivers.
Rideshare companies require their drivers working in the Arcadia area to have a minimum of liability insurance for:
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 per bodily injury per accident
- $30,000 in property damage
If a driver doesn’t have a passenger yet, he or she is also required by the state of California to have an additional $200,000 of liability coverage in case of a severe accident. Bear in mind, once a driver picks up a passenger, the driver’s company adds extra insurance. In fact, Uber and Lyft provide their drivers with $1 million in liability insurance per incident and $1 million in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident.
Would you like to talk with some experienced California Uber and Lyft lawyers? Once you’ve been in an accident, it’s quite normal for you to need help. There’s no need for you to have to go through the complexities of personal injury law on your own. And, there are many skilled and qualified lawyers ready to help you.
By getting help right now from an experienced lawyer—someone who has successfully handled your type of case—it will be much more likely that your settlement will totally cover any expenses you have from:
- Property damage
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
At this time, you need help from someone who has already helped others who have been injured in an Uber or Lyft accident receive the financial settlement they deserve. You really need someone who can see the big picture and anticipate what other surprise expenses may very well be headed your way. You really want someone to carry the burden of successfully handling your case.
Once reading all of this, you might wonder why I would spend time telling you that there are tons of eligible lawyers waiting to help you. Why wouldn’t I just say, “Hire us! We’re the right lawyers for your case!”?
Honestly, you should know that you have a lot of options. Look around and see what the other personal injury lawyers have to offer. Question them and really listen to what they say. Check their successes from settling cases similar to yours. Then, check how successful they are when the case heads to court and they have to present before a judge and jury.
However, after all the Googling, reading, and interviews; I’m certain you’ll end up right back here. That’s because I’m optimistic we’re the right Uber and Lyft accident lawyers for you.
Irrespective of whether you decide to work with our firm as your Arcadia, CA personal injury attorney or someone else, we wish you all the best in your case.